The Bahá’í Centenary 1844-1944/Exterior Ornamentation
EXTERIOR ORNAMENTATION 1932-1943[edit]
ABOUT one year after the completion one year after the completion of the superstructure of the Temple, on June 6, 1932, the first contract for the ornamentation was awarded to John J. Earley of Washington, D. C. This contract involved the making and placing of the ma- terial comprising the dome ornamentation including the great ribs. As the work pro- ceeded, its was found necessary to continue these ribs beyond the base of the dome to the foot of the clerestory.
The preliminary work under the first con- tract included studies of plant, technique, and methods for the execution of the work. While new and more difficult problems arose as the various subsequent contracts were prosecuted, the general principle of tech- nique and method, early established and de- veloped, were generally used throughout the entire project. For example, to allow for expansion and contraction of the reinforced concrete material and to eliminate cracking as far as practicable, the ornamentation was made in sections and placed with suitable spaces between adjacent sections. Each sec- tion was designed and prepared as a concrete cast reinforced with a steel frame to provide sufficient strength for handling at the plant and at the building and for resisting wind and other pressures as a part of the structure.
Practically the same groups of workmen carried out the various steps of the prepara- tion of the models and molds and the pour- ing and curing of the casts at the Studio, and the erection of the casts and pouring of the piers, arches and other broad, flat mem- bers on the building.
Outstanding among the problems that were solved in the handling of the work was the support and fastening of the dome orna- mentation. A structural steel furring sys- tem was devised and built on the outer steel dome framework and to this system the 367 casts that comprise the dome ornamen- tation were securely supported and fastened.
One of the principal reasons for doing the dome ornamentation first was the early belief that this portion of the project would be the most difficult. As the work progressed into its later stages, however, unforeseen conditions and difficulties were encountered. These problems reached their highest com- plexity in the first or main story, especially in the placing and setting of the great spandrel sections and of the L-shaped cor- nice pieces. In this portion of the work, the costs of setting the casts was from two to three times the cost of making the sections; the reverse of the experience in the orna- mentation of the dome, clerestory and gal- lery story. This unforeseen situation ac- counts partly for the over-run in cost over the original estimate of the main story contract.
The first two contracts, which involved
the ornamentation of the dome, ribs and
clerestory or drum beneath the dome, ex-
tended over a period of nearly three years.
The preliminary work including the prepara-
tion of plans, the remodeling of the plant
at Rosslyn, Virginia, the building of the full-
size wooden replica of one-ninth of the
outer dome framework and other similar
work were done during the summer and
fall of 1932. Construction at the Temple
was initiated with the erection of the fur-
ring system on the outer dome framework
and continued through January, 1934,
when the last sections of the great ribs were
swung into place at the top of the dome.
The erection of the dome and rib sections-
involving the handling of pieces weighing
up to three tons-was handled efficiently and
without mishap by the Friedstad Company,
the same contractors that erected the struc-
tural steel dome in the fall of 1930. In
January, 1934, upon completion of the dome
and ribs, a second contract was entered into
with the Earley Studio for the ornamenta-
tion of the clerestory. This project was
completed a little over a year later in
January, 1935.
[Page 137]
EXTERIOR ORNAMENTATION[edit]
A two-year period of construction inactivity elapsed from the summer of 1935 to the fall of 1937, during which time a special Technical Committee of Bahá’ís and non-Bahá’ís reviewed the work done under the first two contracts, with special reference to placing future contracts on a competitive and lump-sum basis. The unanimous report of this committee made to the Temple Trustees at Green Acre in August, 1937, recommended that the ornamentation be continued with the Earley Studio on the basis of the experience gained in the development of methods, technique, materials, etc. under the first two contracts.
Re-estimating the second or gallery story ornamentation at $125,000.00, the Earley Studio was awarded a cost-plus contract for this work in October, 1937. The faces were finished in November, 1938, and the nine pylons about eight months later. The cost of this work exceeded the estimate by only about $2,800.00.
The casting and erection of the main story grilles, pilasters, columns, arches, spandrels, cornice and other minor parts, was handled under two principal contracts; first one involving the ornamentation of three faces and second, the work required for the remaining six faces. These two contracts overlapped as to time and construction involved. As the pouring of the concrete and the placing of the casts proceeded from the bases of the faces, the difficulties inherent in the handling of the great arch and spandrel sections and in the setting of the cornice pieces became a major factor in running up the cost of the work above the original estimate.
With Europe becoming engulfed in war and realizing the need for haste in the prosecution of the Temple construction, the Temple Trustees wisely arranged with the contractor for the purchase of reinforcing steel, cement and stone necessary for the building of the 18 circular steps at the base of the Temple. The cement and stone were contracted for and the steel purchased in the summer of 1941.
The original plans of the architect contemplated pouring the concrete steps on the ramp of the foundation structure built in 1922. In 1939, the Earley Studio prepared sketches and made a preliminary estimate of $30,000 for building the steps in sections suspended from the main floor platforms. Later studies and the experience of the Federal government on monumental buildings in Washington developed a final design comprising 917 step sections supported on carriages built over the girders that support the sloping deck. In May, 1941, the Earley Studio was authorized to proceed with the steps and the plans, forms and other preliminary work, involving an expenditure of some $9,300, were done at the Studio. In April, 1942, the preparation of the reinforcement units for the step sections was begun at the Earley plant, and the construction of the carriages started at the Temple about the middle of May. The setting of the step sections was begun in July and was somewhat retarded by lack of sufficient reinforcement units to cast and set all of the 17 sections in one flight at one setup of the hoist. These reinforcement units should have been prepared in the winter of 1940 and the spring of 1941 as directed by the writer, but at this period the Earley Studio was running seven days a week on war contracts for the War and Navy Departments and the reinforcing shop was not available.
The final cost of $50,817.84 for the work involved in the steps contract, while it exceeds the original estimate of $30,000 (made on the basis of a different, much simpler design), is a reasonable cost under conditions at that time, for the work done, involving about 10,000 lineal feet of circular steps, 1000 square feet of main floor platforms and the faces of the plinths of the nine pylons.
On the Temple property, in addition to the Temple structure, buildings, garages, grading of the grounds and other improvements have been made at expenditures of funds as noted below:
Administration building $15,837.95 Caretaker's house 6,209.46 Supplementary house 5,688.47 Storm enclosure-Temple.... $71.21 Tunnels, areaways, etc.... 10,742.87 Fences..... 1,614.86 Grading and seeding groun te 9,444.63 Total $50,109.45